Monday, October 15, 2007

Math vaccine...

Preface: When Koreans translate their language into English, for whatever purpose be it an advertisement, music lyrics, or an official proclomation, they usually end up directly translating without adding any articles and you end up with what is essentially Konglish.

I was walking through the streets of Jin Ju this weekend when I stumbled across a poster on the side of one of the buildings which was advertising a math vaccine. Now I couldn't know if this was actually some miracle product or the result of a poor translation, but it sure got me thinking. What the hell kind of a doctor would stick you with a math vaccine? Would there be any side effects? But most importantly, would the vaccine enhance your mathematical genius or, and I really hope this is the case, does the vaccine make you immune to math? How cool would that be, if you were free from the metaphysical shackles of math? Numbers would just bounce off of you like you were rubber. You could walk up to the check out, holding hundreds of dollars worth of groceries, hand the poor sap at the register a fiver, and walk right out the door whistling dixie, because what the hell do you care if you just stiffed the guy a couple hundred, you're math-proof.

Yes, this really is how my brain works.

1 comment:

B-Mel said...

Simply Brilliant. Tim, do you have any plans on visiting China in the near future? I have friends staying in Southeast China and I've been looking for a chance to go stay with them for a while. Ideas?
I'm staying the hell away from Olympic time but other possibilities include this Spring late March/ early April.